The Town of Halifax is a pastoral community located about 31 miles southeast of Boston and was first settled in 1669. Early colonists found extensive woods of white and pitch pine, cedar and oak and the first saw mill was built about 1728 to process this lumber. Agriculture and lumbering continued to be the basis of the community’s economy and by 1794 there were five sawmills in operation. Lumber was sent south through the Taunton River system and east to the Jones River and North River shipyards. To the saw mills were added iron furnaces and a cotton factory by 1815 and a large woolen mill in 1822. Halifax was the site in 1795 of an early effort to construct a canal between Buzzards Bay and Massachusetts Bay by connecting the Taunton and North Rivers through the ponds of Halifax and Pembroke.
During the 19th century, as other communities became increasingly industrialized and Halifax’s industries burned or closed, the town’s economy shifted back to agriculture and substantial poultry and cranberry production was recorded. The residential character of the town became very pronounced as better roads like Routes 106 and 58 provided better access to the town. In addition, the scattered summer cottage colonies began conversions to year-round housing.
Powered by Education.com SchoolFinder