Abington was first settled by European settlers in 1668. The lands included the current towns of Bridgewater, Rockland, Whitman and parts of Hanover. The town was officially incorporated in 1712, having been named six years earlier by Governor Adam Buckley, as a tribute to Anne Venables Bertie, Countess of Abington, England, who helped him secure the governorship of the Colony from Queen Anne.
During the nineteenth and early twentieth century, the manufacture of boots and shoes was its primary industry, with nearly half of the footwear provided for the Union Army during the Civil War being provided by Abington factories. In 1874 and 1875, the towns of Rockland and Whitman, respectively, separated and incorporated as towns. In 1893, the town was the site of a riot between town constables and workers from the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad, over the town’s rights to build a streetcar line that crossed the railroad’s tracks. The town eventually built the line, and as a “peace offering,” the railroad built the North Abington Depot building, which was built in the style of H. H. Richardson
Abington is 19 miles southeast of Boston. It is a quick 25 minute commuter rail ride to Boston.
Abington is governed by the open town meeting form of government, and is led by a town manager and a board of selectmen. The town operates its own police and fire department, with firehouses located in the north and south of town along Route 18. There are two post offices in town, on Route 123 east of Route 18 and on Route 58 north of Route 139. The Abington Public Library, a member of the Old Colony Library Network, is located adjacent to the town hall, both of which opened in 1997 across from the high school. The town operates a park, Island Grove Park, located in the southeast of town.
Abington has its own school department for the town’s approximately 2,300 students. The Abington Early Childhood Center, located near the center of town, serves students from pre-kindergarten through third grade. There is one elementary school (Woodsdale Elementary near the Ames Nowell State Forest), which serves students from fourth through sixth grades. The Charles M. Frolio Junior High School is located near the center of town, and serves seventh and eighth grade students. Abington High School is located just west of Route 18, down the street from the Town Hall and library. Abington’s colors are green, gold, and white, and their teams are known as the Green Wave. The school’s chief rival is Whitman-Hanson Regional High, whom they play in an annual Thanksgiving Day football game. High school students may also choose to attend South Shore Vocational-Technical High School in Hanover free of charge. Abington is also home to Saint Bridget School, a Catholic parochial school along Route 58, which serves students from kindergarten through eighth grade. There are other private schools nearby, located in the neighboring towns of Brockton and Weymouth.
Powered by Education.com SchoolFinder